Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Simple, fast meals - Anivair Edition

The Magpie makes the fine point often that eating healthy paleo food doesn't have to be expensive or complicated. I'm about to throw at you the easiest and cheapest paleo lunch I've ever had.

The Giant eagle by me sells a bag of Eggland's Best hard boiled eggs for 2.39. For real. Full cooked hard boiled eggs. I know what you're thinking. Tons of preservatives. Not really. it's eggs, some citric acid, and some sodium benzoate for preserving the goodness. Sodium benzoate isn't that offensive, but if the idea of it bugs you (as it does me a bit) then just rinse off the eggs. The stuff mostly stays in the liquid and doesn't get into the egg.

Here's what I did. I took the eggs out and rinsed and dried them. I did the same to the bag. then I put them back in the bag, added a few drops of olive oil (likely 9 cents worth) a drop of vinegar (probably another 5 cents) and some salt and pepper (if you're fancy, you can add seasoned salt as long as you get the kind without sugar).

Boom. 2.50 = 6 eggs worth of lunch. if you're a big guy like me, eat all 6. If you're not, eat 3. Easy, cheap, fast.

It is worth noting here that my wife's lunch looks way more delicious than mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment